Hey gorgeous! Capes are certainly the It-thing to have in your wardrobe these days. And rest assured they give the celebrity look every girl craves. There are so many ways to own or wear capes – cape blazers, crop capes, cape dresses or cape tops. I recently got this lovely red cape top from Shein that I’m obsessed with. I have worn it to meet old classmates from college, for business meetings and of course, here, to our luxury staycation for my 5th marriage anniversary!
How to Wear a Cape Top
This is a versatile piece and there are so many ways to style it. First, how to choose one. Cape tops tend to be heavy items that can either be very simple or make a big statement. The simple ones are those that are like a coat in a neutral color and won’t draw too much attention to themselves. The statement-y ones are like the one I chose – it’s an outfit in itself – more of less.
Go for a lightweight fabric if you want it for summer. I chose a polyester fabric so I can layer it over a skinny sweater in the early fall days. And wear it just by itself in the summer.
Mine is a red cape top in the kimono style with a V neck and a tie-belt. It’s so comfy and yet very glam. That’s the kinda style I love!
Here are some great ways to wear a cape top:
- Style it over a pair of black trousers to work or an office party. Accessorize with a Swarovski bracelet or stud earrings and black pumps.
- Wear your cape top with leather pants for a sexy date outfit or a glam fashion event. Add on a statement choker or drop earrings to make a statement with some stilettos.
- Pair it with a knee-length pencil skirt to create a simple everyday outfit that’s very glamorous. Perfect for an office party, a birthday party or anniversary dinner. Add a hand-held bag.
- Layer it over an LBD for a travel outfit. Add a pair of black sneakers and a tote bag.
- Pair it with your everyday skinny jeans and nude pumps for a street style look. Great for shopping, evening drinks with your friends or a dinner party. Add drop earrings or a choker and a simple red clutch.
I wore my red cape top with a black pencil skirt for my anniversary stay. I don’t like to wear much of jewelry. Plus, red is such a bright color that doesn’t warrant much accessorizing. So i just skipped it altogether. Instead, I accessorized the outfit with black suede stilettos and sunglasses. I added a black and white hand-held bag to complete the look.
For my makeup, the look is simple, except the red lip. I wore a long-wear foundation and concealer. Then I used shimmery eyeshadow in neutral colors for my eyes. I wore it with a cat-eyeliner. I finished the look with some blush and a matte red lip.
We have featured this look on our magazine’s cover for the December issue:
So I hope my small guide and outfit inspo on how to wear a cape top was helpful. If you also create a similar outfit, I’d love to see it. So tag me on your Insta pic @shilpaahujadotcom!