For an elegant evening look, here are my tips on what to wear to a dinner date or party. Plus discover my own date night look in a midnight blue lace dress!
Hey gorgeous! Dates and parties are as befuddling as they are exciting, especially if it’s a special occasion – first dates, being introduced to someone new or an anniversary. They set us thinking for hours (sometimes days!!) about what to wear, how to accessorize, what the hair and makeup should look like! So here’s some advice from me on what to wear to a dinner date or party.
What to Wear to a Dinner Date or to a Party
Well, if you ask me what to wear to a dinner date, I’ll say it really depends on where you’re going. If you’re going to a casual joint for a burgers and beer night, it’s good to wear a mini-skirt with a cute sleeveless blouse or jeans with a feminine lace top. But if you’ve planned a more formal dinner datewith wine, perhaps, at an upscale restaurant, go for a knee-length or midi cocktail dress. If champagne is involved, a full-length gown would be perfect.
Do’s and Don’ts for How to Dress for a Dinner Date
- For a first dinner date or anniversary, go for a soft feminine look, or something that speaks to your personality. Lace dresses, sheer or plain cocktail dresses, mini or midi dresses are a great idea. Or a formal jumpsuit is something you can try.
- For a formal dinner, try something with applique or sequin embellishments.
- Don’t over-accessorize. A clutch, paired with a statement jewelry piece is good enough. Or if you’re going for dainty pieces like chain bracelets, studs or pendant necklaces, you can stack them.
- Keep the hair and makeup fuss-free for an elegant look. Pair shimmery or smokey eyeshadow with a light-colored or nude lipstick. Or pair a red lip with winged eyeliner.
- For formal dinner dates and parties, buns are a great way to show off those sensuous shoulders and earrings, too! For a first date or a casual date, go for wavy or straight hair.
- It’s a great idea to try something unique or eye-catchy in your outfit. A statement hair accessory or necklace is a great way to steal the show. Or go for a novelty bag or a metallic embellished clutch.
- High heels work best, of course. Try peep-toes, pumps or stilettos with your dress.
For this look I wanted to create an elegant evening look, something that matches my personal style. So I combined pieces from my wardrobe to create a formal date night outfit. I paired a lace midi-dress in midnight blue with neutral accessories – a silver collar necklace, a black velvet embellished box clutch and a skinny belt to cinch the waist in.
I blow-dried my hair to make it slightly wavy at the ends. The makeup is a classic smokey eye look. I created it by putting grey-ish silver on the lids and black on the outer corners. I also added a shimmery cream eyeshadow at the inner corner of my eyes. I wore black liquid liner and mascara with it, and paired them with light pink lipstick and dusted a little blush on my cheeks.
So did you find my tips on what to wear to a dinner date helpful? If so, let me know what you’re planning on wearing to your next date or cocktail party? Comment below!
I was wearing:
Blue lace dress: Vero Moda
Black stilettos: Inc. 5
Black clutch: Macy’s
Silver collar necklace: Aldo
Skinny belt: White House Black Market
Pencil eyeliner: Chanel stylo yeux waterproof in black
Liquid Liner: Dior Intensite Eclat liquid eyeliner
Foundation: L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24H Foundation
Eyeshadow on inner corners: Eye Shadow: Sportsgirl The Metallic Edit Baked Eye and Cheek Palette
Greyish silver eyeshadow: M.A.C. Knight Divine
Black eyeshadow on outer corners: Chanel Illusion d’ombre velvet long wear in black
Face Powder: Christian Dior Diorskin Nude Compact Powder Makeup
Bronzer: DiorSkin Nude Tan Matte Sun Powder
Mascara: Clinique High Impact Mascara
Blush: L’Oreal Paris True Match Naturale Gentle Mineral Blush Soft RoseLip Liner: Dior Contour Lip Liner Number 463, Bois De RosePink Lipstick: Revlon 415 Pink in the Afternoon
Nail Lacquer: O.P.I. Dutch Tulips (toes), O.P.I. Yoga-ta Get This Blue! (hands)
Photo Credit: Rahul Ahuja
Shilpa Ahuja a designer and entrepreneur. She is the editor-in-chief of ShilpaAhuja.com, which she founded with the goal of inspiring confidence in the modern working woman through fashion.
Fashion has traditionally been for the rich, white, thin woman. That’s how it evolved over centuries and that’s how it’s been represented in fashion media. But Shilpa believes that with the changing role of women in the society, fashion has changed, too. She believes that fashion is for everyone, regardless of their age, gender, color, body type and background. So she translates runway fashion into easy style advice that one can incorporate into their daily lives.
Shilpa’s work has been published in the University of Fashion blog and Jet Airways magazine. She is also an artist, illustrator and cartoonist. She is also the creator of Audrey O., a comic series that represents the lifestyle of millennial women. She enjoys creative writing and world travel. Her art has been exhibited at Harvard Graduate School of Design and the Aroma Hotel, Chandigarh and been published in Chandigarh Times.
Originally from Chandigarh, Shilpa also has a professional degree in architecture and has worked in interior project management. She is also the author of the book “Designing a Chinese Cultural Center in India”. Shilpa has a Masters in Design Studies degree from Harvard University. For feedback and questions, please email [email protected]