Tired of hair loss?! Well, worry not! We have compiled DIY natural hair growth remedies for you! From hair growth tips to hair vitamins, here’s everything about reverse hair loss!
But that doesn’t stop us from trying to seek remedies for hair loss. We sometimes tend to use artificial products on our hair. Of course, they are marketed so well that we fall for it almost every time. But by using a certain shampoo or conditioner, reverse hair loss is not possible. Shampoos are cleansing products and that’s it. However, there’s a misconception in the advertisements that we see, and brands try to market cleansers as some sort of magical potions.
So, isn’t there any solution for hair loss? Well, we’ve decoded all the queries related to hair loss. Read on to know more!
Reasons for Hair Loss
From medical conditions to climate changes, there are numerous reasons for hair loss. We have listed the major reasons for hair loss. Check out!
1. Genetics: If you have a history of hair loss or baldness in the family then you, too, may experience hair loss.
2. Female hormones: From periods to pregnancy to postpartum, there will be changes in female hormones, which commonly lead to hair loss.
3. Emotional stress: Leading a stressful life, too leads to hair loss. Just like your body, hair is affected as well.
4. Excessively dry scalp: Dry scalp leads to dandruff, which in turn leads to hair loss.
5. Lifestyle: Alcohol consumption, smoking and irregular sleep patterns are a few of the causes of hair loss.
6. Diet: Maintaining a good diet is very essential. If you have unhealthy eating habits, hair loss may occur due to lack of protein.
7. Medication: When on medication, the body goes through several changes including dryness on skin and scalp and sometimes side effects are common. Hence, hair loss may occur.
How to Grow Long Hair?
Who doesn’t want to grow long hair like Rapunzel or atleast until waistline? Okay, now that’s a personal choice. But if you want to grow your hair to the length you’ve always dreamed about, it’s possible. At least to some extent. From adopting good hair care habits to maintaining a proper diet to exercising well, one can grow long hair.
How Long Does It Take for Hair to Grow?
It depends on the length of your hair. And also on how long you want it to grow. Ideally, hair grows about 0.3 to 0.4 mm/day or about 6 inches per year. Also, it’s a scientific fact that human hair growth and shedding is random but not cyclical or seasonal like other mammals. So, factors like diet, healthy lifestyle and many more factors are involved.
Hair Growth Tips
There are a number of tips we hear about everyday. But it’s also important to know that hair doesn’t grow overnight, it varies from person to person. It also depends on genetics, the lifestyle we lead and many other factors. So, here are a few tips for healthy hair growth:
1. Maintain a proper diet: Eating right food and staying hydrated not only helps in hair growth but also yields healthier hair. Instead of spending money on products, try to eat healthy food like green leafy veggies and rich foods.
2. Hydrate: Just like your skin, your hair, too, needs enough water. Make sure you stay hydrated and drink atleast 33-66 ounces of water.
3. Brush your hair: It’s important to brush and free your hair from tangles everyday. Contrary to the belief, brushing your hair doesn’t increase blood circulation. It’s mostly about cleanliness and removing tangles so that it doesn’t lead to hair loss in future. Also, never brush wet hair, try to detangle using fingertips. Or use a very wide toothed comb gently.
4. Massage your scalp: Giving a good massage to your hair increases the blood circulation to the hair follicles. This results in natural hair growth. Ideally, it’s good to massage while in the shower with your fingertips. If you wanna massage dry hair, apply any suitable hair oil or best essential oils. You can massage daily, too, but a minimum of three days is recommended for strong hair.
5. Use good cleansers: Cleansing the hair is very much important atleast once in a week. Try to use a natural or organic cleanser and make sure it doesn’t produce much foam. Foamy cleansers or shampoo tends to dry the scalp, messing with its PH levels and dry scalp always leads to more hairfall.
6. Rotate the placement of your ponytail/ braid: Don’t pull your hair back daily, this will lead to hair loss. Instead, replace the position every alternate day. Use fabric scrunchies and avoid tying your hair when it’s damp.
7. Trim your hair: Cut atleast half an inch of your hair tips every two months. The split ends will make your hair tips dry and brittle, which moves upwards and damage the roots, too, in the future.
8. Right pillowcase: Use a cotton or linen pillowcase and also make sure you change the pillow cover every alternate day.
9. Hair products: Use a hair mask once or twice a month, condition well and don’t ever forget to use a heat protectant before blow-drying, straightening, curling etc. Dry hair is prone to weakening and split-ends.
10. Reduce stress: And lastly, lead a healthy lifestyle. A good nights sleep and physical activities also help reduce stress. So, try to exercise and get a good 8 hours sleep.
Natural Remedies for Hair Growth
One can boost hair growth naturally right at home. Let’s check out these amazing ideas for reverse hair loss and healthy hair tips:
1. Hot Oil Treatment: This is an age-old hair therapy that works well for any type of hair. It also helps in growing long natural hair.
How to: Massage your scalp with hair oil suitable for you once in a week. You can also mix few drops of lemon juice if you have dandruff.
2. Egg whites: Eggs are a great source of protein and hair is made of keratin protein.
How to: An easy DIY hair growth remedy for long black hair. Mix two egg whites with two tablespoons of olive oil or one-quarter cup of yogurt and whisk well. apply the mixture to your scalp and let it stay for half an hour. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
3. Lemons: Lemons are rich in vitamins and other nutrients. And also they are loaded with antioxidants.
How to: In addition to hair growth, lemon juice promotes smooth, shiny and dandruff-free hair. Apply one lemon juice to your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes and rinse it off. Or mix one part of lemon juice with two parts of coconut or olive oil and massage your scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse it off.
Home Remedies for Hair Growth
4. Indian gooseberry: How to grow thick hair is the question in everyone’s mind. Gooseberry is rich in vitamin A that yields to collagen production, which reduces premature graying of hair in addition to hair growth.
How to: Heat some coconut or olive oil in a pan and cook dried gooseberry pieces into it until it’s charred. Cool and strain the oil. Apply to the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes and rinse it off.
5. Pumpkin seed oil: Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of antioxidants, minerals and essential fatty acids and help in hair growth.
How to: Mix pumpkin oil with 1 drop of peppermint oil (stimulates follicles for healthy hair growth and also prevents dandruff). Store the leftover. Heat the oil mildly and apply it to your scalp upside down. This helps in blood flow to the roots. Massage your scalp well for 5-7 minutes. Leave it for 30 minutes or overnight and rinse it off. Do this for two months and you will notice visible results.
Hair Growth Mask
Hair masks are one of the natural remedies for hair growth. Apart from just natural hair growth, these masks also reduce hair loss. Usually, it’s recommended to use a hair mask twice a month. Keep these masks for 30-45 minutes and rinse off with a shampoo. Apply a hair serum if required.
1. Onion juice hair mask: Onions are rich in sulfur and promote collagen to the scalp, which leads to hair regrowth. They also help prevent premature graying of hair.
How to: Mix ¼ cup of onion juice with 1 tablespoon of honey and apply to the scalp. Honey helps to restore moisture.
2. Avocado, coconut and rosemary hair mask: Coconut oil consists of essential fatty acids and penetrates deep into the hair follicles. Avocados deep condition the hair as they are a source of healthy fats. Rosemary oil prevents baldness and hair loss.
How to: Mash half avocados and add 1 teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil and 8-10 drops of rosemary oil.
3. Banana hair mask: Bananas are rich in potassium, vitamins and natural oils.
How to: Mash 2 ripe bananas and mix 1 tablespoon of coconut and olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey.
4. Moroccan hair oil: I’ve personally also found Moroccan oil to be beneficial as it has helped me grow atleast 4 inches in almost 8 months.
Read more here: How Moroccan Hair Oil Changed My Hair Care Regimen
Food for Hair Growth
There are a number of foods that boost hair growth. By eating well and staying hydrated, you can grow your hair longer and also stronger. Let’s check ’em out!
1. Eggs: Eggs make hair grow faster as they are a natural source of protein, which is essential for your hair. Make sure you consume them atleast thrice a week. If you’re vegan, go for alternate protein sources like legumes, beans and sprouts.
2. Spinach and other leafy vegetables: The fastest way to grow hair is by eating greens. Green leafy vegetables are a great source of iron. If you’re iron deficient then the required nutrients won’t reach your scalp leading to hair loss.
3. Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits contain vitamin C that helps to absorb iron in the body. They also produce collagen that will connect the hair shafts together, which will yield to stronger hair.
4. Whole grains: They are rich in iron, zinc, vitamin B and biotin. They produce amino acids (protein), which is essential for hair growth.
5. Carrots: They are rich in vitamin A, which helps in stronger roots.
Magic Food for Hair Growth
6. Avocado: Everyone’s favorite (apart from me. Yeah! Go ahead, laugh). Avocado is rich in vitamin E that helps in blood circulation in the scalp.
7. Nuts and seeds: Nuts are a source of Omega-3 fatty acids that nourish hair and helps in thickening the hair.
8. Greek yogurt: It’s a rich source of vitamin B, which helps in blood flow to the scalp.
9. Sweet potatoes: They are full of beta-carotene, which stimulates the glands in your scalp to make an oily fluid called sebum. Orange colored fruits and veggies are a great source of beta-carotene. Go munch ’em.
10. Poultry and fish: Fish is rich in proteins and any seafood lover will have great hair (okay! atleast most of them). Lean poultry chicken has less saturated fat that helps provide protein.
You can gain vitamins from vegetables and fruits. However, for that extra dose, you can try multivitamin tablets. But make sure you consult a doctor before consuming them. Fish oil and vitamin-B complex are a few of the hair vitamins.
How to Stop Hair Loss
If you notice hair loss to a greater extent and you observe hair thinning then it’s high time to take care of your hair. I have mentioned a few points here that you need to try ASAP!
1. Change your lifestyle. Exercise well, eat nutritious protein-rich food, and indulge in physical activities.
2. Wash your hair with a sulfate free shampoo. Avoid overwashing but also keep your scalp clean after gymming, etc. Usually, twice a week may be good enough.
3. Never brush wet hair and don’t rub hair with a towel. Instead, dab it to soak the excess water after a wash.
4. Reduce stress by meditating. This even helps to reduce hormonal imbalance.
5. Avoid alcohol and smoking. Lesser the caffeine in your diet and junk food.
6. Avoid unnecessary use of heat products. When hair is wet, use a wide-toothed comb whenever possible, especially when hair is wet.
Natural Remedies for Hair Loss
Don’t frown because you have hair loss. From hormonal imbalance to lifestyle change, there are a number of reasons for hair loss. However, you can reverse hair loss through tried and tested natural home remedies for hair loss. Let’s check them out!
1. Hot oil treatments are a great way to restore moisture.
2. Green tea is a great source of antioxidants. Brew two bags of green tea and spray it to your scalp and rinse it off with a mild shampoo
3. Fenugreek seeds provide shine and reduce hair loss. Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight and boil it with one cup of water in the morning. Strain the seeds and apply to the scalp and leave it for half an hour and rinse it off.
4. Aloe vera juice increases blood flow and neem leaves promote hair growth. Mix aloe vera juice with neem powder and add 2-3 drops of olive oil. Apply it on scalp and leave it for half an hour and rinse it off.
5. Avocado protects and strengthens your hair. Make a mask of half avocado, 1 egg yolk and one tablespoon of honey. Mix them well and apply it n the scalp and leave it for 30-45 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water.
So, that was all about reverse hair loss? Did you like our natural home remedies? Do you have some to share? Let us know by tweeting @shilpa1ahuja!
Sahana is a Senior Staff Writer at ShilpaAhuja.com. With an experience in fashion and lifestyle writing, Sahana is responsible for Indian and international fashion week coverage every year, and is developing an expertise in apparel trend forecasting. She also writes about health and fitness, having pursued yoga for 6 years now. She’s not a gym person at all but is all for “running in the park” and is an amateur cyclist. Books and coffee are her other passions. She’s also an amateur photographer. She’s a hardcore Bollywood fan and she loves to cover the nostalgic topics on the same. From fashion trends to famous characters, she can make anyone love Bollywood! Her best article has been 90s Bollywood fashion, a readers’ favorite so far! Prior to her experience with ShilpaAhuja.com, Sahana has written as a freelance author for online magazine, Mashup Corner, and interned at EventsHigh as a content writer. Her blogs on basic fashion, makeup, fitness and city’s food joints that gave her a chance to experiment with her writing. She also has voiced her opinions about feminism and equal rights for men and women at PolkaCafe journals and after quitting her job, she decided to take up writing as her full time career.
Sahana is an engineering graduate and has worked in an MNC, Tesco, for more than a year as an Operations Support. It was her sheer love for fashion that made her quit the monotonous 9 to 5 job to pursue a career in the fashion industry. She’s originally from Bangalore and is currently settled in Chennai (she’s loving the city)! For any queries and discussions, contact her at [email protected] You can also tweet her at https://twitter.com/Sahana_17