Hi , I am a little out of shape and chubby kind of person . my birthday is on tuesday and i want get something casual comfy yet sexy . I also have got a few wedding in my family n friends so want to get something elegant n simple for that something little diffrent .. wat should i do ?
Hi Sriya, happy birthday in advance!
For birthdays, my personal choice is always a dress for an evening party, and a nice top with jeans for a casual day outing/office. If you want something that you can also wear to a wedding later, try an simple but elegant gown or an Indo-western dress.
General Curvy Dressing Tips
Find a dress that suits your body type:
- On curvy women, flared knee-length dresses, asymmetric midis and flared maxi dresses look great.
- If you’re hip-heavy or pear-shaped, you can also go for a long hip-covering top with leggings/jeans. Similarly, long, hip-covering dresses work great – like flared knee-length dresses.
- If you’re tummy-heavy or diamond shaped, wear an empire-waist dress or a peplum top.
- The idea should be that your dresses should put the focus on your best parts and take the focus away from problem-areas.
- Avoid stiff fabrics, which add unwanted extra volume.
For more tips on body-types, read: How to Find Your Body Type and How to Dress for it
How to Dress for Pear Shaped Body Type
Black, red, crimson, navy, deep turquoise and burgundy colors really flatter curvy body types. But it’s your birthday. So just wear what you feel happiest in!
If you’re happy and dressed elegantly, if you carry yourself confidently, I personally feel that it’s sexier than anything else!
If you wanna wear a dress, here are some good options:
- Elegant knee-length flared dresses
- Flared midi-dresses
- Straight knee-length dresses
- Maxi dresses with side-slits
Here are some examples:
Featured Asos dresses:
Curve Lace Insert Kimono Dress
Curve Kimono Drape Dress
Little Mistress Embellished V Neck Skater Dress
Curve Exclusive Premium Swing Dress With Embellished Neck
Curve Salon Sequin Slip Dress
And some more ideas:
Layering is also a good idea. You can layer a structured jacket over your dress for a slimming look. But don’t wear something that looks out-of-place in the summer.
If you wanna wear something Indo-western, crop tops with pants paired with sheer long kurtis are very trendy. Long anarkalis are still in, and side slit kurtas. Find all the latest trends in Indo-western outfits here:
Keep your accessories statement yet elegant. Peep-toes, pumps and ankle-strap heels look best on curvy girls and help elongate their silhouette, giving a slimming look. Nude heels matching your skin tone also give an elongating, slimming effect.
Avoid chunky jewelry if you want a sophisticated look, although that totally depends on the kind of party it is. Statement necklaces, long chain pendants or large earrings are always a great idea! You can also try a hair accessory like pearl hair-pins, etc., although the best idea for a birthday party is to keep it simple and fuss-free!
Hope that was helpful! Enjoy your day 🙂 and #KeepItStylish