When you seek comfort and style, nothing beats an oversized hoodie. It can come in many different styles, fabrics, colors, designs, and patterns.
Oversized hoodies and sweatshirts for women are a winter staple as they’re comfortable, they keep you warm, and they look good with anything from skinny jeans to leggings.
Whether you’re hoping to save money or are wanting to choose quality over cost, you’ll want to find an oversized hoodie that looks good and feels great while also fitting your budget. Here’s how:
1. Determine Your Style
Before you shop for your dream oversized hoodie, decide your style preferences and choose the fit accordingly. If you prefer more fitted styles, you can find everything from figure-flattering, lightweight fabrics, crew necklines, deep V-necks, turtlenecks and so much more. Style and accessorize by rolling up the sleeves or layering under a casual jacket.
If you prefer more oversized sweaters for lounging in, then be sure to look for slightly longer tops with fitted sleeves to keep everything in proportion. If you don’t mind an oversized fit, look for lightweight fabrics with a high thread count or chunky knits that provide you with maximum comfort.
2. Know Your Fabrics
Once you know your body type, it’s time to choose your fabrics. You want to make sure that you feel comfortable in your new hoodie, so be sure to find the perfect one for you. Here are the best fabrics for your new winter staple, in order from most to least desirable:
- Cotton – Cotton is extremely popular because it’s lightweight and breathable. It can be used to make both lightweight and heavy hoodies. Depending on how thick you like your clothes, choose between 100% cotton and a cotton blend.
- Polyester – Polyester is incredibly versatile and can be used in both thin and heavy garments. It’s also extremely popular because it doesn’t wrinkle, which is perfect for travel or any busy day on the go. Avoid anything more than 10% polyester, though, since anything higher tends to make your clothes too bulky.
- Poly-Cotton – This fabric is made of cotton fibers mixed with polyester for added comfort, durability, and ease of care. It’s incredibly soft to the touch, though it can be even thicker than cotton or polyester alone, so avoid it if you like lightweight hoodies.
- Nylon – Nylon is a great choice if you need to wear your hoodie in wet or windy conditions since it’s highly water-resistant. It’s also lightweight but not as soft as cotton or polyester.
- Fleece – This fabric is made of polyester, often mixed with cotton for added comfort. It’s very warm and comfortable, but it can be too bulky for some people.
3. Know Your Design Options
Oversized hoodies can be made of anything from 100% cotton to lightweight poly-cotton mesh. You can find them in plenty of designs ranging from thick and puffy to thin and smooth. Here are your best options for different styles:
For Winter – Choose heavier fabrics like fleece, cotton or poly-cotton blends, especially if you live in colder areas.
For Fall/Spring – Lightweight fabrics like cotton, polyester, or nylon keep you comfortable without overheating. Perfect if you live in a moderate climate.
For Summer – When the weathers warmer, cotton or poly-cotton mesh are the most lightweight options making them perfect for warm days.
In terms of design, you can choose from hoodies, jackets, and sweaters. Hoodies are the most casual option since fashion-forward women prefer jackets for their sleek fit and polished look.
4. Know Your Sizes
First, determine your measurements so you know what size to look for online. Make sure to measure yourself with a measuring tape around the natural waist and hips. This will ensure that you don’t have a sizing issues.
Small – Choose this if your natural waist is under 27″ (68cm) and your hips are under 37″ (94cm). Your dress size should be 4 or 6.
Medium – Choose this if your natural waist is between 27″ (68cm) and 36″ (91cm) and your hips are between 37″ (94cm) and 45″ (114cm). Your dress size should be 8 or 10.
Large – This option is best if you have an hourglass shape with a natural waist of 36″ to 40″ (91-102cm) and hips up to about 49″ (124cm). Your dress size should be 12 or 14.
As a final note, remember that finding the perfect oversized hoodies can take time. Keep at it and focus on finding the fabric, style, and fit that you’re most comfortable with. If possible, try on your potential purchase in person to get the best idea of what size will work for you.
Anika Sachdev is a freelance writer, who writes about fashion and lifestyle. She is currently pursuing her diploma in Fashion Design from iNIFD. She enjoys styling, making fashion illustrations and is a big fan of the work of Coco Chanel. Based in Mumbai, she likes to draw and listen to Bollywood music in her free time. For any questions, feedback or concerns, please email [email protected]