Unwind, de-stress and give your nails some love with an at-home nail spa. Learn how you can make your very own at home with plenty of nail care and grooming tips! All that and more below!
As much as every girl loves going to a nail salon to get manis and pedis, the time it takes and the amount you’re charged will almost make you question if it’s worth it. I was never one to go to a nail salon to get my nails done (unless it was for a really, really, really special occasion), I was more of an at-home nail spa kinda girl. Why? Because it’s so much fun! Plus there’s no hassle of commuting, waiting and spending money. And it’s even better if you have friends or a sister to have a nail spa day with!
My sister and I had this tradition where we would have a fun nail spa evening every Friday followed by an equally fun movie marathon night! Needless to say, I really looked forward to Fridays! So find out below how you can create your own elite nail spa and have pamper sessions with your friends, sisters, mom, or just yourself! Because healthy nails=happy nails!
Nail Care & Grooming
1. Exfoliate your hands using a natural homemade scrub. Here’s one I’ve used for as long as I can remember – diy scrub made from coconut oil and sugar.
2. Moisturize. If you have dry skin on your hands and lotions and hand creams just won’t cut it, use a thick body butter instead. It works like magic!
3. Cut your nails often and keep them trimmed and clean.
4. Wear flip flops to public showers and pools, it prevents nail fungus.
5. Use only 5-free or non-toxic nail polishes and acetone-free nail polish removers.
6. Always, always use a base coat before you paint your nails. This protects them and prevents them from getting discolored.
7. Use almond or jojoba oil to strengthen nails.
8. Maintain a good diet to keep your nails healthy. Foods rich in vitamin E like spinach, avocados, almonds and sweet potatoes are a must for pretty nails.
Why You Need Your Own Nail Spa
Nail care is an essential part of basic hygiene. But we don’t always have the time and money to spend to go to a nail salon. And not to forget the tragic circumstances when you accidentally chip your filed nails, and have to go back to the salon to get it fixed. With the social media driven lives we now lead, we need perfectly groomed nails for everything from taking T-rex hand selfies to OOTDs! But with your own natural nail spa, you can do everything from shaping to painting and even touching up whenever required, right from the comfort of your own home! So do you wanna know how to create your own nails spa? Let’s find out!
Essential Spa Equipment You Need
Everyone can have a few nail polishes and call it a nail station, but in order to make your nail spa more professional, the right equipment is pretty necessary. Also, they really come in handy!
- Nail dryers – UV/LED dryers are a must for all nail fanatics. Especially if you like changing up your gel nails quite frequently, these are very helpful. In case you don’t wanna invest in one of these, nail dryer sprays are good alternatives.
- Massage chair – Make your spa all the more luxurious with a relaxing massage chair. If you think that’s a bit overboard, just a soft, comfy couch or chair would do, too!
- Table lamp – The place where you do your nails should be as well lit as possible. Get an adjustable table lamp so you can always have the spotlight on your nails, no matter where you’re doing them! For a more Hollywood feel, get a lighted mirror!
- Portable foot spa – No serenity nail spa is complete without a pedicure sink with massaging jets and heat!
- Nail art drill – ‘Cause acrylic nail designs aren’t so easy to file and shape and this makes the process a lot faster.
- UV spa equipment sterilizer – What’s the point of having an awesome nail spa without taking proper care of the tools and equipment? A UV sterilizer will kill all the bacteria and virus from nail clippers, metal and glass filers. A must-have for anyone who likes switching up nail shapes often.
Nail Supplies You Need
You don’t have to spend a lot to create your make-shift nail salon. Here’s a list of what you should have at your nail and massage spa!
- Nail clipper
- Nail file
- Cuticle remover
- Nail buffer
- Manicure brush
- Pumice stone
- Hand & foot cream
- Hand & foot scrub
- Callus file
- French manicure tip guides, nail art stickers and rhinestones or crystals
- Nail polish remover
- Soak-off gel polish caps
- Tissues and wipes (tons of them!)
Your Pro Nail Polish Set
Every girl needs to have a basic set of nail colors in her vanity, one for every occasion! A pale nude for the workplace, a classic red for parties and weddings, a dark burgundy or black for night-outs and a blush pink for a date or brunch! And these basic essentials would not be complete without a metallic color, for when you want to accent a nail, and a base and top coat, to make your color last. Having a mixture of matte, satin and glittery finishes is a great idea. you’ll never know what you’re in the mood for! I’d also recommend getting a matte top coat with which you can turn any nail polish matte. Don’t forget to go for a good brand that has a wide, sturdy brush that can cover the entire nail in one gentle sweep and give an opaque, even finish!
Organic Nail Care and Massage Items
Making sure to read labels before purchasing nail care items is mandatory to keep your nails in the best condition. Use only non-toxic, 5-free nail paints and nail polish remover that’s acetone-free. Brands like Nails Inc and Barry M have coconut water infused nail polishes that hydrate and nourish the nails while giving it color. Argan, jojoba, almond and coconut oil are some nail care massage items that are organic and give good results!
Nail Spa Décor
To start with, choose a theme for your nail and massage spa. Some awesome ideas include vintage/rustic, Japanese, fantasy, beach and Hollywood. Personalize your natural nail spa by adding photo frames, hanging some art work or your favorite quotes, arranging potted plants and having a mini snack bar or even an espresso machine!
Organic nail spas usually have a peaceful and zen quality. So to recreate all of that, you’ll need light colored walls, a comfy couch or chair, foot stool, table, throw pillows and more throw pillows! Get the nail spa area as comfy and cozy as possible! Set up your favorite scented candle on the table, along with some books or magazines, which you can read to pass time while you’re soaking your feet!
To feel like you’re at an actual nail spa, light some bamboo, lavender or cucumber scented candles and have some soft music playing in the background! Have a variety of light sources, like fluorescent, incandescent and halogen, to know how your nail colors are gonna look under different lighting. For an extra luxury nail spa look, get a Hollywood vanity mirror, in front of which you can do your fancy nails! Also, a nail polish rack or stand with with different nail colors arranged on it would look really cool and also be very functional.
Have a Nail Spa Warming Party or Indulgent Soiree!
Celebrate the opening of your brand new luxury spa with an all girls night-in of relaxing massages, luxurious nail care, bliss mani pedis, and a whole lotta fun – Blair Waldorf style! Arrange for some dressing robes and fuzzy slippers or ask your guests to bring their own, so everyone can look and feel comfy! Make some cocktails, popcorn, and other yummy food to snack on. Set up a couple of extra manicure tables with nail supplies and polishes on top of each. You can also have some cute nail stickers, guides for french tip nails, nail art pens, gems and rhinestones so each person can decorate their nails however they want!
And if you’re gonna be waiting around for your nails to dry, might as well do your face too. Apply some creepy looking sheet masks or an organic homemade face pack and don’t forget to take tons of pictures! You can also have some soft music playing in the background to create a zen nail spa feel. But if you wanna make it more exciting, watch a movie with hot actors you can all drool over! End your fun-filled nail spa day with a sleepover to catch up on some beauty sleep!
So that was our guide on how to create the best nail spa, how to care for and maintain lovely nails and essential spa requirements! Let us know your thoughts by tweeting @shilpa1ahuja!
Also check out:
– Pro Beauty Supply Items & Makeup Tools Every Girl Needs
– Fashion Nails: All the Latest Nail Art, Color and Shape Trends!
– Summer Nail Colors: 9 Prettiest Nail Polish Colors to Celebrate the Sunny Season!
– Best Burgundy Nails: 45 Nail Designs for Different Shapes & Shopping Ideas
Nishita is a Staff Writer/ Journalist at ShilpaAhuja.com. She is a graduate of National Institute of Fashion Technology and has a degree in leather design. A lover of all things fashion, she writes about everything from beauty, hair and lifestyle to fashion trends and how-to’s. Her area of expertise is outfit ideas but being fresh out of college, she also loves writing about college fashion. Her new found love of baking is currently taking over her life, making her write about all things chocolate and easy recipes. With a flair for sketching and a great eye for detail, she’s previously designed leather garments for brands like Diesel and Salsa. When she’s not writing, she’s busy reading extremely sappy Nicholas Spark’s novels, sewing clothes and listening to some indie rock. Also super passionate about photography, she loves portraits and wildlife photography – a habit turned love that formed with the amount of traveling she did as a teenager. As a girl who grew up with books and movies like Pride & Prejudice, her love for period fashion is huge. And being curly haired, she’s always on a constant hunt for solutions to problems that come with having ringlets and loves sharing them with people through her articles. For feedback and questions, email [email protected] or connect with her on twitter @ni95.