From what is matcha tea and how to make to all its benefits, get to know all about matcha green tea here!
Everybody loves to try the next “it” thing. Matcha tea is something that has been brewing up some attention. If you’re curious about this trendy beverage, here are a few things you need to know.
What is Matcha Tea
There are two grades of matcha tea available in the market. The ceremonial grade and culinary grade. Ceremonial matcha is the youngest finest tea leaf powder. The first thing that would interest you would be its vibrant and steeped green color and smooth texture. It has an immensely refreshing and naturally sweet flavor. Whereas, the culinary matcha is on the affordable side. Its powder is a mix of both older and younger tea leaves, which is a little dull green in color. It savors an earthy, robust punch of flavor and can be widely used for smoothies, lattes and baking.
The caffeine content is much higher in a matcha tea but because of the way the body digests it and by the way it is released at a sustainable steady rate, it does not give the coffee jitters or energy crash.
Matcha Tea Benefits
Its health benefits are the main reason for its worldwide popularity these days.
1. The paramount health benefit of matcha tea is that it provides a king-sized dose of antioxidants in every sip. 100% of the nutrients are consumed when drinking matcha.
2. It has the highest antioxidant concentration. They are known to reduce cholesterol and lower blood pressure levels.
3. Matcha tea contains high levels of chlorophyll, which packs the powder with nutrients and antioxidants. And it is as simple as sipping some of this to burn some calories. In this way, it is good for weight loss too!
4. This amino acid combats stress and anxiety and gives you that calm relaxing feeling that you need to focus. L-Theanine is the magical elixir amino acid in matcha tea that assists in lowering anxiety, enhances mood, boost concentration and alertness. Experts approve matcha green tea for anyone dealing with anxiety or stress.
How to Make Matcha Tea
Start with placing the matcha bowl in front of you, first take 1 or 2tsp of matcha powder and sift it through the sifter to clear out any lumps. Then pour it just a little bit of water and whisk it with the chasen to help the powder incorporate into the water. Keep an eye on the water, it has to be just before boiling, nice and steamy.
Pour in the rest of the 2 ounces water and whisk it for a minute and a half until you get a nice, thin foam on top. And that is the sign of a great cup of matcha tea. Make sure you are making it correctly and flavoring it properly.
Matcha Tea Latte
1. Add two teaspoons of matcha powder to a bowl for a strong serve.
2. Next add hot water to your bowl, just enough to mix the powder.
3. Whisk the mixture rapidly with a bamboo whisk in a W or zig-zag motion to break any small pieces and make it light and frothy. Keep aside.
4. Feel free to use any milk – almond milk, cow milk, soy milk. They are all just as good and adjust the amount of sweetness with sugar, honey or Splenda.
5. Froth the milk by whisking it swiftly until you get a nice thick foam, so when you run a spoon over it, the foam is hard to get off the spoon.
6. Pour the milk over the matcha concentrate and gently scoop the milk foam over the matcha and fill it all the way up to the top of the cup and your delicious matcha latte is ready for a sip.
So, this is all about matcha tea. Are you already a matcha tea drinker? Do let us know by tweeting @shilpa1ahuja.
Shazia Bargathullah is a regular freelance writer at ShilpaAhuja.com. She is also a fashion design graduate from iNIFD. Her journey started with a keen visual eye, an interest in styling and a passion for design. She has an expertise in modest fashion and writes about makeup tips, beauty trends and runway-inspired fashion ideas. She is also the author of the blog Devil Wears Parda. For comments and feedback, please email [email protected]