If you wanna have strong roots and shiny hair, then discover some of the best natural hair therapy tips here. Tried and tested, they’re based on our experiences to get rid of damaged hair, and make our mane healthier!
Hey beautiful! Hair is one of the most important features, especially for women. I know every woman in this world desires to have thick, long and lustrous hair. In fact, people of all ages, in general, love their hair ’cause of the important role it plays in defining their overall look. For healthy hair and getting rid of damage and frizz, one should avoid all the chemically formulated hair products. Instead, the best idea is to switch to natural and homemade therapies. Here are some hair therapy ideas that I have personally been using for myself. Check them out!
Note Before You Read:
Natural remedies work differently for everyone, I tried these hair tips & masks on my hair, and my hair type is normal and straight. So please remember that everything I wrote here may not suit every hair type. Before you try out these natural hair tips and masks, please do a patch test to check if you are allergic to any ingredient. Find out more about your hair type here.
Natural Hair Therapy at Home
Hair therapy care starts with basic cleaning and some pampering. Here are some tips I recommend for cleansing!
Hair Care Tips
- Oil your hair and massage it gently an hour before you go for a hair wash as it’ll help you to pre-condition it.
- Dry your hair with a cotton towel once you are out of the shower, as the other fabric towels can tangle your hair, increase frizziness and cause it to break. Avoid rubbing towel on your hair. Instead gently pat it to avoid getting split-ends.
- Don’t comb your hair when your hair is wet. Also, use a wide toothed comb to detangle your hair when it’s dry.
- Hair color tends to dry the scalp as well the ends. So, if you have colored your hair, take extra care by providing the moisture with oil massages and hair masks, especially on the ends.
- Avoid using harsh products on your scalp that contain chemicals. Mild shampoos or natural cleansers are recommended. So avoid those that produce too much lather. In fact, Shilpa recommends not even using shampoo, but instead use very diluted baking soda to clean hair. Read more here: What Hair Shampoo Do You Use?
- Hairwash should be done 1-4 times a week. Avoid washing it more than 4 times max. But keep your hair clean, and do wash it after sweaty exercises like gymming.
- Don’t step out with hair oiled and wet hair, ’cause the dust and dirt stick to it and cause damage to your hair.
- Make use of soft hair ties to tie up your hair. Avoid thin rubber bands since they tangle and may break your hair.
- Conditioning your hair once in a week is a must, and deep conditioning once a month.
- When you apply conditioner after shampooing, avoid it touching your scalp. Apply it to the lengths and ends of your hair only.
For Dry Hair
If your hair tends to get dry, try oil massage every week or month. Whether it’s coconut, olive, almond or castor oil – use whatever works for you. Or you can go for any one of these hair therapy masks at least once a weak.
Mix one tablespoon of any oil, such as almond or olive, with one cup of yogurt and keep aside. Then, just apply the mixture to the scalp and hair by massaging it for at least 5-10 mins. Wear your shower cap and leave it for 20 minutes. Then rinse it off with normal or warm water. Repeat this process at least twice a month for the best results.
Hot Oil Treatment
Take 2 tbsp of all these oils – almond oil, olive oil and coconut oil. Mix it well, making sure they’re lukewarm but not over-heated. Gently massage your hair with this oil mixture and wrap it up in a towel dipped in hot water. Then, unwrap after 30 minutes and wash it with a chemical-free shampoo.
Hairfall is typically caused by chemical-heavy products like hair gels, conditioners, shampoos and color dying, as they may dry your scalp that leads to hair fall. Instead, Shilpa recommends using very diluted baking soda to clean your hair, and it also helps to maintain the pH level of your scalp along with diluted apple cider vinegar. Also, try these homemade products below.
Soak two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds overnight. Grind it to a paste and apply it as a mask on your head. Leave it for at least 20 minutes then rinse it well with normal water. Use weekly.
Take a couple of bananas, mash them into a smooth paste. Add 4-5 drops of almond oil. Apply it to your hair, tie it up and cover it with a shower cap for an hour. Rinse with normal water and then use a mild shampoo.
Strawberry Hair Mask
Take 5-6 strawberries, 1 tbsp of coconut oil, 1 tbsp of honey. Blend all the ingredients to a smooth paste. Apply the mask on your scalp and from the roots to the tips of your hair. Rinse it with cold water after 20 minutes. You can repeat this once every 4 days.
Itchy scalp is something no one wants. So to get rid of all the dandruff, keep your hair clean. Wash it after your workout, and see to that the sweat doesn’t stay on your scalp because dust particles and sweat lead to dandruff. So, even if you don’t shampoo daily, wash your hair with water alone.
Also, if you have applied styling products, wash your hair thoroughly to get rid of the product. And try any of these hair mask tips at least once a week to get rid of your dandruff in an easy way.
Yogurt and Lemon
Mix a cup of yogurt with 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey. Apply it to your head by gently massaging all over the scalp and hair. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it with a mild shampoo. For better results, use every week.
Blend 5 – 6 hibiscus flowers with a small amount of water to create a thick paste. Add 3 tbsps of warm coconut oil into the mixture. Then gently massage all over the scalp and hair, leave it for 1-2 hours, rinse it thoroughly with warm water.
So those were the best natural hair therapy ideas. Which hair remedy would you like to try for yourself? Let us know by tweeting @shilpa1ahuja!