The quickest way to mimic the hour-glass figure is through dressing. So here are the do’s and don’ts on how to look slimmer (no workout required!).
With the right outfit, looking slim is really not so hard! Some outfits are designed to cinch in your problem areas and give a perfect shape to your body. And you can also put together basic pieces to create figure-flattening outfits.
Does it ever happen to you that you put on an outfit and it makes you look completely out of shape? If so, it may be just because of the wrong choice. Just like the right makeup can slim down your face, the right fashion can slim down your whole body.
So, let’s take a look at the basic tips and do’s and don’ts on how to look slimmer.
Do’s on How to Look Slimmer
- Understanding your body type is the first step to knowing how to dress. If you want to find your body type, check this out: How to Find Your Body Type
- Go for light fabrics like spandex, jersey, cotton, chiffon and satin.Try waist cinching inner-wear like corsets or body-shapers to give a perfect shape to your body.
- When in confusion, opt for darker colors like navy blue, crimson, deep-sea green and not to forget, black.
- Go monochromatic or choose an outfit that mixes shades of the same color to create a slender illusion.
- Try color blocking to suit your body type. How to use color blocking to give the illusion of a slim silhouette varies from one shape to the other. If you have a pear shaped body, try color blocking with a darker color at the sides of your skirt or dress. If you have a diamond shaped body, go for darker color blocks at the tummy area.
How to Dress for Pear Shaped Body Type
- Try vertical racer stripe pants which would take the focus away from your problem area (like hips).
- Choose a structured dress with ruffles at the neckline.
- You can also go for a dress with a ruched waist.
- Go for bolder prints or artwork patterns to put the focus on the art.
- Horizontal lines makes you look broader. So opt for dresses, pants or skirts with vertical stripes.
How to Look Slimmer: Don’ts
- Avoid stiff and heavy fabrics like velvet, corduroy or brocade as they will make you appear fuller.
- Avoid wearing crop tops with skinny jeans. Opt for palazzos or flared structured pants instead.
- Make sure to wear well-fitted lingerie. Too tight panties or too loose bras would completely ruin the look of your outfit.
How to Look Slimmer Using Accessories
If you have an outfit that you have been keeping in your wardrobe for a long time wondering whether or not it would suit you, here’s how to give it a chance. Accessories not just play a great role in completing your outfit but can also move the focus away from your curves. Here are some tips to add the glam factor and bring out your slimmest, most-beautiful self!
- Neckpieces: If you have a pear shaped body choose statement neckpieces that would put all the focus on your top-half.
- Belts: It is a incredible piece of accessory that cinches the waist in, making the outfit more structured. Also try statement belts to add some interest to your outfit.
- Bags: Medium-sized sling bags that end just at the hips would be helpful for pear-shaped women , as the bag would grab all the attention. Also see: How to choose handbags according to body type.
- Footwear: Try nude pumps to elongate your frame. You can also wear statement shoes or embellished heels to draw attention to your feet and away from your problem areas.
Also check these posts from Ask Shilpa: What Should I Wear to My Birthday Party? I’m Curvy! and What are the best workwear ideas for pear-shaped women?
Hope these tips were helpful. If you tried one of these suggested slimming outfits that made heads turn, do let me know about it below! 🙂