All the excitement of a smooth, silky skin goes in vain after seeing the redness post waxing. From the reason for bumps after waxing to methods to get rid of them, read everything here!
What is Waxing
Waxing is a process in which body hair is removed from the roots. It is not a permanent solution to get rid of the hair. But of course, it is quite helpful and works well on any body part. From hands to eyebrows to bikini line, waxing is a great idea to get rid of unwanted hair. It gives a comparatively long lasting effect when compared to other hair removal methods like shaving.
Bumps after Waxing
While waxing is one of the best methods to get rid of the extra hair, there are a few cons too! One of them being the skin becoming red or bumps appear post waxing session. Most of you ladies would have experienced this and might be afraid to book your next salon appointment. But knowing the reasons behind it and the remedies may make you feel confident.
Causes for Bumps After Waxing
Bumps are the most common reaction to waxing. When the hot wax is applied on a body part and ripped off, the hair is removed from the roots of the skin. The removal happens quickly to make sure it is efficient and less painful. In this quick removal process, the skin gets stressed and we see the red bumps.
Apart from the irritated skin, the other reason for redness of skin after waxing may be due to infection of the hair follicles. Hair follicles are left open after waxing and the bacteria on the skin may cause infection. Also, wrong waxing technique involved may lead to troublesome bumps. People with sensitive skin experience them quite often. Bumps may also be more common on certain body parts. For example your bikini line, face or back may be more susceptible to bumps after waxing than arms or legs.
White Bumps after Waxing
While a few bumps appear immediately after waxing within a day there are a few bumps which appear a week later. This is because the removed hair regrows and at times it curls back into the skin and this may cause bumps or pimples on the skin after a week. When the red bumps become bigger and more painful, we see that a white cap or layer is formed around them. This shows that the bacteria is trapped in the pore and is infected. These are what white bumps are!
How to Get Rid of Bumps After Waxing
Bumps shouldn’t stop you from going to waxing sessions, instead, take a few precautions. Even after taking the precautions if you see bumps, then here are a few ways which will bid goodbye to the post-wax bumps.
1. Ice – Applying ice is one of the best remedies to get rid of the redness. After my waxing session, this is the first thing that I do. Just take a few ice cubes and rub over the waxed area for some time. I have got so used to this ice therapy that even if I don’t see any rashes, I just rub ice after every waxing visit.
2. Lemon Juice – Applying fresh lemon juice may do wonders in curing harshness. You may think that lemon juice will inflame the area more, it may hurt when you apply but it will definitely help in healing.
3. Aloe Vera Gel – Aloe vera is a magical plant whose leaves, juice or gel proves helpful in fighting against many other health problems. It calms down the skin and helps to prevent infections.
4. Coconut Oil – This is one of the best remedies which will help you get rid of bumps after waxing. Applying coconut oil over the bumps moisturizes the skin too!
5. Apple Cider Vinegar – From its benefits in weight loss to hair fall reduction to dropping cholesterol levels, it is quite helpful for the body. It also improves skin health and this can be used to reducing bumps or pimples after waxing.
1. How long does it take for bumps to go away
It may take a couple of hours to even a few days. It all depends on the type of bumps, skin and climatic conditions. Taking proper care may help you get rid of them quickly. If it’s taking longer than a week, see s dermatologist.
2. Preventive ways to get rid of bumps
As they say, “prevention is better than cure.” Before going for waxing there are a few precautions to be taken to avoid bumps. Wash your skin thoroughly and make sure it is free from moisturizer or any other body lotion. Use the right wax and also proper waxing technique. Make sure the wax is at the right temperature as cold wax may cause bumps. Also, avoid getting waxed in a humid room.
3. Home remedies to get rid of bumps
Home remedies are the best way to get rid of those aching bumps. Coconut oil, ice, aloe vera are a few things that can help you get over the bumps after waxing.
4. Does the type of wax make any difference?
Yes, definitely. Waxes are made from different types of resins and the quality of the resin directly affects the quality of wax. From soft to hard, chocolate to sugar, there are plenty of types of them. Hard wax is usually used for sensitive areas like underarms, bikini, upper lip, etc. So, choose wisely according to the body part too! Ask a professional for help in choosing the right wax if you have bump-prone or sensitive skin.
5. Tips for Brazilian wax aftercare
Brazilian wax is one of the most popular bikini waxing technique. As the bikini line is one of the most sensitive areas of the body, be very careful while opting for it. It may be very painful if the hair growth is more. So, after waxing avoid going to work out. Don’t use the sauna and pool for 24 hours. Also, it is advisable not to have intercourse on the day of bikini waxing.
So, this is all about post waxing effects and their remedies. How often do you get these bumps and what ways do you use to get rid of them? Do let us know by tweeting @shilpa1ahuja.
– Laser Hair Removal Results: Is It Really Worth It?
Anusha Jain is a Staff Writer & SlubShop Manager at ShilpaAhuja.com. She has a diploma in Fashion Design from iNIFD and is originally from Andhra Pradesh. Before entering into the field of fashion, she got a Masters in Analytical Chemistry. Her love in fashion design, a passion in staying updated with the latest trends and zeal to do something creative paved her way to a career in fashion. Here, at Shilpaahuja.com, she works on bringing the latest in shopping ideas, fashion tips and beauty advice to SlubShop, the world’s first purely trend-based affiliate store. Accessories are her expertise. Her work on SlubShop involves bringing the latest runway trends to the masses, and designing the UI/UX to make it look innovative and fresh. She is also a fitness and dieting aficionado, writing about bringing the latest in the world of wellness and health. When she’s not writing she loves to travel, watch movies and also she is interested in photography, using herself as a muse. For feedback and questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with her on Twitter @Anushajain14.