Get lots of ideas on what to wear to a night out, from dates, parties to nightclubs. Plus, discover my own 80s rock chic look/ black leather skirt outfit for some style inspiration!
Hey gorgeous! I love wearing black, even head-to-toe black. Versatile, mysterious, sexy (even slimming), black is great for so many occasions – parties, work, traveling and of course, night outs.
What to Wear for Night Outs?
It really depends on exactly what you’re doing.
- For date nights or dinners, go for knee-length or midi dresses. A dinner date night outfit should be alluring, romantic and also polished. It should reflect the best of your personality.
- For an evening of drinking with friends, wear ripped jeans with a sexy top. Plunging V-necks, cowl necks, choker necks or strappy tops are great ideas. Jumpsuits and casual flared dresses are also great ideas. You can try embellished tops, crop tops or satin shells, too, paired with shorts or denim skirts.
- For nightclubs, black, red and metallics work perfectly. Sequin mini dresses, bodycon dresses, off-the-shoulder tops and leather skirts are great ideas. Gold, silver and bronze look super – whether in embellishments, clothes, accessories or even just makeup. You can also wear leather pants with crop tops or strapless tops. These also work great for parties like as a New Year’s Eve party outfit.
- For outfits for winter night outs, just wear a metallic or leather jacket over your look. Or pair your skirt or dress with shimmery tights or embellished shoes.
What to Wear with a Black Leather Skirt for a Night Out?
For dance nights or when you’re out drinking with your friends, the perfect styles to try are black leather pencil or mini skirts. Pair them with metallic, embellished or sequin tops, sheer tee-shirts worn over a metallic bralettes or backless/halter tops. For a simpler look, you can just pair them with basic tees or sleeveless black or contrasting tops. Red, silver, white and purple go well with black. You can also try metallic leather skirts, paired with a black or neutral top.
How I Created My Black Leather Skirt Outfit
You can dress a leather mini skirt up or down – just with a t-shirt for a casual outfit, and of course, something like this for a night out. And I absolutely would wear this black leather skirt outfit for a night out.
For this night out outfit, I wanted to style my black leather mini skirt in a hot, chic way. Black leather skirts are super trendy this year. We spotted them on the runways, shopping websites, celebrities, models, everywhere. It’s a total must have trend.
The 80s Rock Chick Look
I wanted to create an 80s rock chick look for a change, but something that also borrows lots of this year’s styles – something different yet wearable. I love 80s fashion – it was all about bold, in-your-face style. There were lots of mesh tops, layered chunky jewelry, bright colors and leather. 80s were so brash, expressive, unapologetic.
For my own version of the 80s rock chick look, I created a black leather skirt outfit with a black sleeveless top that has a sheer top panel. I recently cut my hair shorter and I love how that goes with this look! Instead of the typical 80s perms or standing-up mane, I loved the idea of an easy-to-recreate, everyday hairstyle.
So I softened the chunkiness of 80s fashion with this soft wavy hairstyle (not perms!), and I traded layered chunky jewelry with a black suede choker. I loved accessorizing with a spiked cuff – it’s very audacious. And black suede I-strap wedges with tie-up laces.
Makeup for a Night Out
For night outs, most girls’ go-to makeup style is a smokey eye or red lips. I wanted to do something slightly different, so I just went with black liquid lined eyes, with a very slight wing. Then I extended that wing with black and grey eyeshadow, and kept the lids metallic with cream, copper and bronze shades. I lined the bottom of my eyes with white liner to create the bigger-looking 80s eye, and also used silver eyeshadow along the inner corners of my eyes for a bit of sparkle and more open-looking eyes.
I used foundation and very light bronzer (contouring wasn’t a trend in the 80s), and mostly just created some shadows in the cheeks with my blush. I kept my lips very glossy with dark red lipstick.
Here’s another closeup of my makeup look!
Hope you have lots of ideas on what to wear for night outs now. What do you usually do on night outs, and what are you planning to wear next? If these ideas were helpful, or if you recreated my black leather skirt outfit, do tag me in your Instagram pic @shilpaahujadotcom, or tweet me at @shilpa1ahuja!
I was wearing:
Black top: Zara
Black leather mini skirt: Forever 21
Spiked cuff: Diva, Australia
Black choker: Zara
Black tie-up wedge heels: Charles & Keith
White nailpolish: L’Oreal I Pink I’m in Love
Liquid liner: Revlon Hyperglossy
Makeup: L’Oreal Infallible 24H, Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid Makeup, M.A.C. paint pot
Red lipliner: M.A.C. brick
Red lipstick: M.A.C. Retro Matte Liquid Lip Color Quite the Standout, Maybelline 630 Red Revolution
Lip Gloss: Dior Addict 043
Eyeshadow Primer: Christian Dior backstage prime
Eyeshadow: Just Gold Pearl powder, Chanel Illusion d’Ombre Velvet eyeshadow, Sportsgirl Metallic Eye palette, M.A.C.
Mascara & Eyebrows: Clinique high volume long wear mascara
– – Latest Skirt Styles for Fall Winter 2018-19 We’re Drooling Over