Looking for the best jeans for your body type? Look no further! Here’s a tailor made guide to help you buy the best pair along with some styling tips.
When we think about wardrobe basics, one of the first things to cross our minds is jeans. A pair of perfectly fitted jeans is a wardrobe must-have that helps you make a statement effortlessly. But when it comes to choosing the right pair, it can be an extremely arduous process. Not every cut and style suits everyone. We often don’t understand why certain styles of jeans don’t look too great on us. It is because we tend to choose them based on trends or celeb styles instead of our body type.
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. This article is a COMPLETE guide to finding the best jeans for your body shape.
Jeans Over the Decades
Wearing jeans became a symbol of adolescent revolt during the 1950s after James Dean popularized them in the film Rebel Without a Cause, wearing them became increasingly acceptable in the 1960s, and by the 1970s, it had become a universal trend in the United States for casual wear.
Each decade, popularized a particular style of jeans that ruled the era. It wasn’t just about plain old cowboy blue jeans anymore. Each decade saw its own style, from flared to colored to mom to baggy jeans in different washes.
For instance, the 1960s saw the rise of the iconic bellbottoms, which also paved the way for boot cut and flared jeans over the course of the decade. The late 1970s saw a shift to slim and fitted jeans from boxy cuffed ones in the 60s and early 70s. This was the era in which our much-loved high waist jeans came into existence. The 1980s were all about skinny, ripped and mom jeans with acid wash being the most sought after style. The 1990s was ruled by baggy jeans along with mom and washed black denims and the early 2000s were all about low rise jeans.
How to Find the Best Jeans for Your Body Type
Now, I’ll discuss different body types, how to identify yours, and choose the best jeans for your body type. To know what your body type is, checkout our previous article: How to Find Your Body Type and How to Dress for it.
1. Rectangle Body Type
If you have proportionate shoulders, bust, and hip measurements with little waist definition and an overall athletic and lean frame, you probably have a rectangle body type. It’s sort of a straight body line, so the focus should be on defining the waist and the lower half of the body.
- If you are a rectangle then the best jeans for your body type is a high waist or mid-rise jeans in a dark wash. It will make your legs look longer and torso look shorter, making the best of the straight body shape.
- One can never go wrong with skinny jeans. These pairs will hug your bottom half, giving it a shape overall, starting from your hips.
- Also try mom jeans and add a wide belt to accentuate the waist.
- Wide-leg jeans in addition to being super comfortable will fill out your hips and thighs. Bootcut jeans and flared jeans will hug your hips, giving your thighs a good shape. It is an overall relaxed fit as it flares down the knees, adding some curves to your body.
- Straight jeans are also a great option; they are more relaxed than skinny jeans and can be styled very easily.
- You can pair your favorite jeans with a basic crop top for a casual look, an oversized shirt or blouse for a dressier look and a fitted one for a formal look.
- Pair straight jeans with a fitted top to accentuate your waist.
- For your wide-leg or boyfriend jeans, you can also pair them with cute puff sleeve tops or off shoulder tops for a more feminine look.
2. Pear Body Type
This body type is characterized by hips that are wider than the bust, defined waist, proportionately slim arms, narrow shoulders, and prominent thighs.
- If you are a pear then the best jeans for your body type is a straight one, preferably high waist. It brings out your natural body shape and curves while making your legs look long and waist defined.
- Skinny jeans are also lovely for a pear-shaped body type, make sure it skims your thighs instead of accentuating them too much.
- Other great options that flatter your natural curves and are super comfortable to wear are high waist mom jeans, boot cut jeans, and flared jeans. Boot cut jeans and flared jeans will perfectly balance out your hips.
- For winters, you can opt for a pullover, a long cardigan, or layer your jeans with a blazer, a leather jacket, or a denim jacket over a nicely fitted top.
3. Strawberry Body Type
When the largest number among all your measurements is that of your bust and your breasts are fuller and curvier than your butt, then you have a strawberry body type.
This feminine body shape looks good in almost every style, starting with straight, wide-legged, baggy fits to boot cut and flared styles if you want to opt for a curvier appearance. So if you are a strawberry, you’re in luck because the best jeans for your body type could be nearly anything.
- Your goal is to make your silhouette or top half seem balanced, so baggy or boyfriend jeans would be the best bet.
- Avoid skinny jeans as they’ll make your hips appear much less wider than your bust, making you look out of proportion.
- You can also try flared jeans and straight-fit ones.
- A super cool way to style your denim is with oversized t-shirts, it’s a super comfortable and relaxed fit and so fashionable. You can style your oversized t-shirts and shirts with boot cut jeans as well, tie a shirt knot or opt for different tuck in styles.
4. Hourglass Body Type
If you have a proportionate upper and lower body; your bust and hips are of nearly equal measurements with a relatively narrow waist, then you probably have an hourglass body type. These body types also tend to have round shoulders and hips.
- The best jeans for your body type, to accentuate your already defined waistline, is high waist jeans.
- Skinny jeans are also amazing as they will highlight your beautiful curves.
- Wide leg jeans will make your lower half look proportionate and a flared ones will balance out your hips and thighs, adding the illusion of height if you’re short.
- Straight fit ripped jeans, paired with a blazer and boots are perfect for an hourglass body type. For fall, you could also layer your regular tops with a long shrug. Pair it up with your favorite statement jewelry pieces and or belts, statement black boots, casual white sneakers, or heeled sandals.
- Scarf tops are also super versatile that can be worn with every style of jeans.
5. Diamond Body Type
This body type has a relatively wider upper body with a heavy shoulder, full bust, barely any waistline or curves, wide hips and thighs. The diamond shape body’s waist is its largest measurement.
- The main aim for people with a diamond body shape should be to accentuate the hips and give the illusion of a smaller waistline. So if you are a diamond, the best jeans for your body type would be skinny, flared, or straight-cut jeans. The relaxed fits will take attention away from the thighs while giving a flow to the whole look.
- Opt for either a high rise or a low rise pair. High-rise jeans will define the waist whereas low rise will define the hips.
- Skinny jeans will help bring out your hip curves, so try a mid rise pair if you’re going for these.
- You can always go for a good tuck in with shirts, tops, or t-shirts. Tuck in is a very versatile way of styling that can be worn with every style of jeans. You could also play around with some layering, either with blazers, shrugs, or oversized denim jackets.
- For a petite woman of any body type, its best to opt for mid rise or high rise jeans as these will create an illusion of longer legs.
- If you are tall, you’re in luck because tall women have a wide option to choose from. You can opt for any style of jeans be it high, mid or low rise. Tall women especially have the liberty to rock low rise jeans.
Jeans aren’t just a wardrobe must-have, they’re so much more than a mere piece of clothing. They give the wearer the confidence to be their most authentic self, comfort to sail through an entire day while looking fabulous. They’re a means of self-expression that truly allows you to be who you are.
As a lover of jeans, I personally feel empowered every time I put my favorite pair on. I’m at my comfortable best, feeling absolutely ready to take on the day, motivated to get things done, all the while looking amazing. So, if comfort comes first for your personal style, jeans will definitely become your best friend.
There are so many factors that have made jeans a personal favorite among men and women around the world over the years. The first one being, their versatility. There’s no wrong place to wear jeans. You could wear them while running errands, for a day out with friends, a date, as business casual, anything. In addition to that, they’re very affordable, super comfortable, easily available, convenient to wash, and will last a really long time. In fact, the older, more worn out and distressed the pair gets, the more fashionable it becomes.
In addition to being iconic, you can be assured that they’ll never go out of style. So go and invest in some good pairs for yourself! If this article helped you find the best jeans for your body type, leave a comment or show us your looks by tagging us on your Instagram pictures @shilpaahujadotcom.
Srija Roy is a Fashion Journalist Intern at ShilpaAhuja.com. She has completed her Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy and Finance from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata. Srija has always harbored a love for both writing and fashion, and is very passionate about them. This internship has brought two of her favorite things together, helping her explore and learn from her area of interest in order to build a career out of it in future. In addition to her love for writing, she is also quite fond of reading and traveling – the latter being the ultimate goal of her life.